[SDL] stable SDL GUI

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Tue Jul 2 08:54:01 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2/07/2002 00:18:27 , Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net> wrote:
[...]
>If you're using software rendering only, it's pretty useful.  If you're
>using OpenGL, it's completely useless.  You might be able to get it to
>work with glSDL maybe,

Yeah - but then one would have to make glSDL cooperat nicely with "user" OpenGL code, and that's not a high priority for me, at least. It's beyond the scope of glSDL.

(Keep an eye on the higher levels of the "Spitfire Engine"; graphics engine of Kobo Deluxe - it's about to get native OpenGL support.)

> but in the end I think I'd rather see yet another
>GUI project which supported both OpenGL and software rendering.  Such a
>thing is on my todo list at some point.

Same here, although I'm thinking more along the lines of a GtkCanvas/Flash hybrid, specifically designed for "weird" and flashy GUIs of the kind seen in games, media players and audio applications.

As a result of taking active part in a discussion on "audio GUIs" (VST/DX style stuff) on another list, I got contacted by the lead developer of an OpenGL only toolkit to be released soon. Might be a better idea than starting from scratch, but I can't really tell at this point.

(Contact me off the list for details on my design, or whatever.)

//David

`-----> We Make Rheology Real