[SDL] In Win32, can't return to the original resolution after a SDL_Quit()

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Mon Jul 1 10:44:01 PDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 12:55:29PM -0400, Robert Goulet wrote:
> I've updated my video driver and it fixed the problem that was causing to
> not being able to switch back the the previous desktop resolution. Should be
> added in some troubleshooting docs...

Right, I propose the following text:

"If you are running obsolete drivers and experiencing problems, you might
try upgrading them.  Video drivers are known to have bugs, and rare as it
seems (especially when dealing with ATI and NVIDIA), they do get fixed."

Every game released will caution you that you should be using the latest
drivers for your hardware.  There's a reason for this, and users who don't
heed these warnings quickly discover why they exist.

I realize that in Win32 you're going to find that most people are outright
afraid to upgrade anything, but when you're on that platform you're damned
if you do and damned if you don't.  The Linux user in me is almost forced
to make snide remarks about using Microsoft, but I'll save those for
another day.  ;)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>              glDisable (DX8_CRAP);

<evilkalla> heh, I never took a coding class
<evilkalla> or a graphics class
<evilkalla> or a software design class
<vegan> and it shows :P