[SDL] In Win32, can't return to the original resolution after a SDL_Quit()

DrEvil drevil at warpcore.org
Mon Jul 1 09:09:00 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 10:26, Robert Goulet wrote:
> There's another issue in the way SDL work in Windows. When I change the
> resolution to anything that is fullscreen, the vertical refresh used is
> always the poorest of all. I checked my desktop properties, and it is set to
> "use best refresh". So why is it using the poorest refresh rate in
> fullscreen mode in Win****?
>
>     thanks, boB.

This is a result of the change in how refresh rates are handles under
Windows 2000 and Windows XP, previous versions of Windows had an
'optimal' refresh rate option. This is no longer the case, so with ATi
and NVidia both and other cards under Windows 2000 and Windows XP
systems will you will have this issue. It is *not* a bug in the
respective drivers for those cards, but rather a change in behavior by
Microsoft. Refreshlock is the only program I have seen that works
regardless of video card and driver version and is quite configurable,
search google for it.