[SDL] Re: CMI8738 sound problem (OT)

Gib Bogle bogle at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jul 8 15:29:00 PDT 2002

> Message: 9
> From: "mike shoup" <freak901010 at hotmail.com>
> To: sdl at libsdl.org
> Subject: Re: [SDL] glmovie works!
> Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 11:10:18 -0600
>
> >Now if only I could get sound to work on my system ... (ASUS P4B266 with
> >onboard CMI8378, in case anyone has a suggestion).
> >
> >Gib
> >--
>
> First off, if the module cmpci isn't loaded, load it. Second, you may want
> to try and recompile the kernel with the cmpci support built in.
>
> My suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions Mike, but the problem must be elsewhere.  The
kernel has cmpci support built in, and loading the module doesn't help.
Since the boot log doesn't say anything about the sound chip, it seems
that it is not being detected.  The info from C-Media doesn't mention
any interrupt or I/O port settings, implying that nothing needs to be
done.  That would seem to suggest that it is PnP, but the PnP check in
bootup doesn't find any PnP devices.  This could be because it searches
for PnP cards.  I need to find someone who has a m/b with a CMI8738 on
it, to see what shows up in the boot log.

Gib