[SDL] smpeg/glmovie sync problem

Gib Bogle bogle at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jul 4 22:56:01 PDT 2002

The speed problem with glmovie is a result of a time problem that bites
timeSync() (in gdith.cpp).  The code determines "real time" by calling
CurrentTime(vid_stream).  If mpeg->TimeSource() does not return NULL,
CurrentTime() uses mpeg->TimeSource()->Time(), otherwise it uses
ReadSysClock().  When audio is enabled (EnableAudio(TRUE)) the pointer
time_source (which TimeSource() returns) is initialized, and although I
haven't gone far into this I think it means that the audio timing is
used (somehow).

In glmovie.c SMPEG_enableaudio() is not called, and apparently
time_source is not NULL.  Adding
	SMPEG_enableaudio( mpeg, 0 );
to glmovie.c (just before SMPEG_setdisplay()) causes time_source to be
set to NULL, and the video plays OK (almost, see below).  I am not
sufficiently familiar with C++ to be sure how to do it, but it seems
that a default initialization of time_source to NULL would remove the
necessity for the call to SMPEG_enableaudio().

If I do
	SMPEG_enableaudio( mpeg, 1 );
i.e. try to initialize audio the speed problem is still there.  This
could be related to the fact that sound is not working on my system.  I
think I have an interrupt conflict with an I/O card.

Interestingly, plaympeg.c calls both SMPEG_enableaudio() and
SMPEG_enablevideo(), but glmovie.c calls neither.  Apparently
SMPEG_enablevideo() is not needed?

There are still other problems with glmovie.  I have been testing with
the callback to the draw function turned off, and with the draw function
called in the main loop.  Playing my 6 sec test mpeg file, it starts
about 1 sec into the movie.  I have no idea what causes the initial
frames to be dropped, but I'll try to track it down.

It is not a good idea to do the drawing like this, because the function
always gets called about 6 or 7 times in quick succession, redrawing the
same image.  This seems to happen in the ~30ms when ExecuteDisplay() is
executing.  There isn't much CPU cost though, because the OpenGL draw
functions use the GPU.

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a quick explanation of how
the time system works with audio enabled.

Gib
Gib Bogle              bogle at ihug.co.nz
1/44 Arthur St         Tel: (64-9) 525-6878
Ellerslie, N.Z.        Fax: (64-9) 525-6878