[SDL] Video with SDL/OpenGL

Gib Bogle bogle at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jul 2 03:08:01 PDT 2002

> Message: 41
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 03:42:42 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Ryan C. Gordon" <icculus at clutteredmind.org>
> To: "sdl at libsdl.org" <sdl at libsdl.org>
> Subject: Re: [SDL] Video with SDL/OpenGL
>
> > if not, then consider using MPEG content which, I think,
> > is more desirable because the format is less platform-specific
> > and is well supported in SGL with the smpeg library.
>
> If nothing else, look at the glmovie.c source in smpeg to see how to get
> from a YUV overlay to a GL surface.

Ryan, I have installed smpeg-0.4.4 and studied the test program
glmovie.c.  But when I run this program I get very strange behaviour.
I'm hoping that someone here can explain what is happening.

When I play an MPEG-1 file (./glmovie test.mpg) I do not see anything
related to the content in this mpg file.  Instead I see a fixed image,
which happens to correspond to the bitmap of the NeHe logo, such as is
used in lesson06, which I was running yesterday.  In other words glmovie
is somehow locating the bitmap, which apparently still resides in RAM
somewhere, probably on the graphics card.  It is opening the mpg file
and returning correct mpeg_info.width and .height, but displaying
something else.  BTW, plaympeg plays the file OK.

My machine is a P4 with a GeForce4 Ti4400 graphics card.

Before getting stuck into trying to debug this, since I'm not familiar
yet with OpenGL I thought I'd check here to see if this behaviour has
been seen before.

thanks
Gib