[SDL] Drawing over OpenGL

William Robinson airbaggins at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 1 03:31:00 PDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:15:08 +0200
"Karsten Hachmeister" <Mailingliste at Hachmeister.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to SDL and tried to create a rotating cube with OpenGL in SDL. OK,
> this works, but now I am interested in how can I draw lines and rectangles
> over the OpenGL screen. I already tried to use the SDL_FillRect() Function
> but it didn't work. Before I called this function I locked the screen and
> after that I unlocked it and called the function SDL_UpdateRect().

the simplest way, i think, which i didn't see mentioned is to use the
SDL_OPENGLBLIT flag in your SDL_SetVideoMode call. then you can blit over it in the simple SDL way all you want.

BUT, as it says here:

http://sdldoc.csn.ul.ie/sdlsetvideomode.php

it's not recommended for new code. so i hope i don't get shot down for this.

bill