[SDL] Driver question

Mattias Engdegård f91-men at nada.kth.se
Mon Jan 22 11:24:30 PST 2001

>1. Is it safe to call SDL_PrivateMouse{Button, Motion} finctions from within a
>signal handler (FreeBSD provides a possibility to notify about mouse events via
>signal delivery). Currently, when I'm setting up it this way almost any SDL
>program locks up if I'm actively moving mouse.

you can't do much inside a signal handler --- read Stevens for a more
precise description of what you can and cannot do. In particular, you can't
safely call any SDL functions

>2. Is it necessary to have a surface locking functions if the only surface
>available is the main video buffer (for example fbcon video driver has this
>feature, while svgalib doesn't)?

depends on whether your video surface need locking. For example, DGA needs
locking since it has to ensure that the previous flip has taken place