[SDL] SDL 1.1.7 and svgalib problems

Lutz Sammer johns98 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 27 06:34:28 PST 2001

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 Johannes Staffans wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm playing around with various algorithms for antialiasing lines (don't ask
> me why), and it occured to me to try and make something that functions with
> per-pixel alpha blending instead of linear, foreground-to-background color
> blending. Now I wonder, is this possible using SDL?

That's the *correct* way to do it, and it should be possible - all you need is
a way to read the pixels before changing them.

However, that kind of access patterns don't mix well with speed... If you're
writing directly to VRAM now, you should probably do the reads from system RAM,
rather than from VRAM, at least if you're going to do a lot of antialiazed
drawing in real time.

//David

`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'