[SDL] Hardware Acceleration in Windowed mode

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Fri Aug 31 14:24:01 PDT 2001

> IMHO, I think SDL needs hardware acceleration in a window very badly.  The
> performance drops from 100FPS+ to <50FPS when I switch from fullscreen to
> windowed.  What are the problems with this, and the pros and cons?

It's simply impossible to do hardware page flipping in windowed mode.
It is technically possible to do accelerated blitting in a window, and
this will be addressed in the SDL 1.3 API rewrite.

BTW, you're welcome to dig into the code and submit a patch for SDL 1.2
to enable hardware acceleration in a window, if it doesn't change the API.

See ya,