[SDL] [OT] gstdint.h project

Guido Draheim guidod-2001q3 at gmx.de
Thu Aug 30 12:11:01 PDT 2001

Mattias Engdegård wrote:

> Guido Draheim <guidod-2001q3 at gmx.de> wrote:
> >P.S. and some day, SDL will be using standard inttypes too, right? ;-)
>
> SDL 1.3 will most likely abandon the old "Uint32" typedefs and use C99
> inttypes, typedef'ed in an SDL header where needed. I don't see this
> as a problem

exactly, and most lib-projects will do too - switch to C99, typedef where
it is needed - and a third-party project including two such lib-projects
will be offered "redefined typedef" messages, possibly even to a different
basic type. That's what the ac-macro of gstdint is about, just reuse it
and be sure you don't get into a problem with other projects using it too.

Possibly, the experiences with platforms can be gathered into one place
instead of being splinteres as is the case right now where everyone is
adding #ifdef-platforms around - which in itself contradicts autoconf
philosophy to detect features and not platform-names. There was no such
generic central place AFAICS, so I did just create it - and that's
pretty much all about it. Feel free to use it for SDL, and since I have
an interest in the well-being of SDL, I'll help it as good as I can.

Anyway, good to hear you think too that SDL will switch to inttypes,
well, it's just the Right Thing to do IMNSHO.

cheers,
-- guido                                 http://ac-archive.sf.net/gstdint
GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)