1.3 proposals (was: Re: [SDL] LoadLibrary analogous function?)

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at debian.org
Thu Aug 30 01:01:01 PDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:18:21AM -0700, winterlion wrote:
> > > I'd love to see audio recording capabilities
[..]
> > Hopefully, that's still the plan ;-)
>
> All going well - as near as I can tell:
> 	windows : SDL audio and record/windows do -not- mix...  I think
> 		this may be the easiest platform to support

It probably should be reasonably easy.

[..]
> 	linux:
> 		OSS: workable, no prob
> 		ALSA: no idea
		ALSA: no problem

> 		ESD: doesn't do bidirectional... or it doesn't work...
> 		ARTSD: claims bidirectional, then halts on my machine ???
		ESD: Not a chance, forget it.

My emu10k1 supports some very cool routing in the card..  I can
essentially set up /dev/dsp1 for playback over headset and still use
/dev/dsp for (2 or 4 channel) sound through a pair of digital speakers.
It would generally be very cool to have voice communication for
multiplayer games.  There are codecs which compress well enough to fit
alongside a game connection over a 33.6 modem.  They sound like crap of
course, but for the military/shooter type games they end up sounding like
military radio in the middle of a fight.  Suppose that's one way to turn a
flaw into an advantage, eh?  ;)

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only person thinking this direction.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at debian.org>                 Free software developer

<lilo> it's weird, when you go on a safari to Africa to catch a lion, you
       find it alive and it charges, and then you kill it
<lilo> when you go on a safari to South Bay to find a Palm Vx, you find
       it dead and take it home and it charges after it arrives :)