1.3 proposals (was: Re: [SDL] LoadLibrary analogous function?)

Standa Opichal opichals at seznam.cz
Wed Aug 29 02:30:01 PDT 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, winterlion wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Standa Opichal wrote:
>
> > > would be pleased to add my 2 cents, provided there is room for it.
> >
> > Yes, is there any other forum to discuss the API changes needed? I have
> > also some experiences with SDL (I'm writing an emulator) that should
> > change in the future.
>
> I'm going to guess that ideas are being taken down and once those who
> designed the (1.2-) APIs have a concrete idea of what's in mind, they'll
> open discussion.   I've been looking forward to this for -ages- :)

Well, let's drive it a bit ;)

> I'm looking forward to "SDL preference" support myself - things like
> preferred videodrivers, audio, and such.  (my case: X -> FBcon -> svgalib;
> I run all at some point or another, but svgalib is less stable for me than
> FBcon and I don't think this is true for others)
> this is from a -much- older thread...

Nice to have this.

> also I know that multihead / multiwindow support is intended and one is
> curious of what form that would take...  (I can think of a few ways but on
> a multithreaded platform all of them look complicated)

Yes, the thread safety is really missing here.

> Anyhow, all I can think of is keep coming up with ideas and thinking about
> them, and when you're solid of what form they should take post them onto
> the list...  even if there's no answer, it's probably being remembered in
> planning.  Just try to keep it within reason *g*...

Well, can somebody confirm this?

I'd like to see the multidriver (portable) keykodes. The SDLK_ constants
should be the scancode ekvivalents immutable with driver/platform chages.
There should be other API to get the character code of the key pressed
(these are two differrent things). Now the SDLK_ returned changes e.g.
with keyboard layout which is not good e.g. for emulator or games.

The portable dynamic libs API is also needed for application extensibility
features not present within the basic binary distribution (e.g. native
drivers for emulators)

regards

STan