[SDL] playing multiple sounds simultaneously (SDL_Mixer, BeOS)

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Aug 21 05:07:01 PDT 2001

> What have other people done?  Is the BeOS implementation somehow
> limited? Am I misunderstanding the concept of channels?

"Channel" in this case has nothing to do with stereo ("BeOS supports two
channels"). Channels are an abstraction in SDL_Mixer above the OS and above
SDL_audio. If you can play a stream of sound at all in SDL, then you can mix
multiple streams of sound ("channels") through SDL_mixer.

If you start three sounds on channels 1, 2, and 3, and start some music too,
then all four of these sounds should mix into one stream of sound behind the
scenes, which makes it's way to your sound card.

I don't know if that clarifies anything.  :)

--ryan.