[SDL] 3dnow/sse and vectorc (was Windows verion...)

Mark Collins m.collins at codeplay.com
Mon Aug 20 02:36:00 PDT 2001

"Erik Greenwald" <erik at math.smsu.edu> wrote in message
news:mailman.998246108.5742.sdl at libsdl.org...

> > Where can I find VectorC?
> > Does it cost money?
>
> http://www.codeplay.com

And yes, it does cost money.

> that doesn't make sense. the SIMD shtuff lets you do basic arithmatic
operations
> on multiple bits of data. The SIMD 'register' is 128b wide iirc, so if you
had
> lots and lots of floats to add, you could do 4 at a time. I'd think that'd
mean
> that if your program was strictly arithmatic on floats, you could get an
almost
> 4x speedup, tops. I d'no about you, but none of my hefty programs spend
all their
> time adding or multiplying floats. :) It'd be nice if gcc did that?
(possibly
> I'm mistaken on one or more points... but I think that's all that vectorC
offers,
> and I think the athlons do things about the same way as intels for
mmx/sse/3dnow)

It does more than vectorization (although the name can be a little
misleading).

As well as the vectorization stuff, it also does automatic loop unrolling,
prefetching, code re-ordering (that cane make things faster) and various
other funky stuff.

The website has just been redone, and has much mroe details (and the
benchmarks now have comparisons with Visual C++)

--
Mark 'Nurgle' Collins
Developer Support - Codeplay Ltd.