[SDL] OpenGL and 2d

Erik Greenwald erik at math.smsu.edu
Sun Aug 19 19:33:01 PDT 2001

> With any 3d game it is very common for there to be 2d information boxes
> splatted on top. Is it better to use OpenGL or SDL for these?

if it's ogl, use ogl :)

> Using OpenGL seems limited in terms of the size of the box and the
> number. How many textures can OpenGL support?

hrm, just over 4 billion, but I think your memory will be all gone
long before :)

> By using SDL I mean using SDL surfaces and blitting them on top. Does
> this method have any problems? Any problems with speed?

most games just use a texture as a 'billboard', some hw won't let you
do a 2d blit over a 3d context...

> Thanks,
> Adam.

        -Erik <erik at smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.