[SDL] Problems to compile SDL* under GNU Win32 compilers.

Guido Draheim guidod-2001q3 at gmx.de
Sat Aug 18 15:21:00 PDT 2001

Jo wrote:
> linux/unix. Both host and system type are i586-pc-cygwin (uname says
> "CYGWIN_98-4.10"). The cygwin compiler is a modified MingW32 compiler, and
> all that follows will unhesitatingly apply to the MinGW32 compiler.

*gasp* that part about the history of mingw is *er* simply the other
way round - the mingw compiler is an offspring of cygwin, but it did
split off completly from the cygwin-mailinglists at some point which
is some years ago http://www.mingw.org/history.shtml - while cygwin b20.1
had been released back in 1998, the mingw-compilers are usually much
more up to date - see files at mingw.org to use gcc-2.95.3, latest w32api
snapshot, newest binutils (very important!) and other stuff. Same for
the compiler packages from http://libsdl.org/Xmingw32. Anyway, IIRC
SDL had been made cygwin-ready just recently but I didn't follow closely.
May be digging through the ML-archives may bring up some hints.

may be someone else can be of more help,
I was just to correct that mingw info...
cheers,
-- guido                            Edel sei der Mensch, hilfreich und gut
GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)