[SDL] SDL Examples

EvilTypeGuy eviltypeguy at qeradiant.com
Fri Aug 17 18:16:01 PDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:59:26PM -0500, Wesley Lemke wrote:

> I've just started looking at SDL and was wondering if there are any simple
> examples/tutorials.  The SDL Guide that is part of the documentation project
> is a good start, but not exactly what I'm looking for.  An example of what
> I'd like to see is a very simple game/utility implemented using a good
> subset of the SDL features.  For example a minesweeper game, or a calculator
> done in SDL.   This would allow a place to show most of the features of SDL
> w/o becoming too complicated to follow.   Most of the demos are very
> impressive, but too complicated for a beginner to follow.
>
> Does anyone know of such a tutorial?  Any other tips for someone just
> starting to learn SDL besides RTM (which I am doing, but examples help so
> much :).

Yes, it's called "Programming Linux Games", you can buy it from
www.lokigames.com or from www.nostarch.com/plg.htm I believe...
You can also purchase it from your local bookstore (ala Borders/Barnes &
Noble)...

ISBN# 1-886411-49-2

It not only introduces SDL but some other good programming practices as well as
introduction to the ubiqutous OpenAL, you'll thank yourself later for buying it.
It's the easiest to understand intro to SDL i've ever read personally, I read
almost 1/2 the book last night, I couldn't lay it down :) It's a great
introduction to the world of SDL and I know Sam can vouch for it, he wrote the
foreword to the book :)

It starts from the very basics and works its way up to a simple 'maelstrom' like
game complete with input, sound, and music...

> Thanks,
> Buck

-EvilTypeGuy