[SDL] SDL Examples

William Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Aug 17 09:19:01 PDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:59:26PM -0500, Wesley Lemke wrote:
> I've just started looking at SDL and was wondering if there are any simple
> examples/tutorials.  The SDL Guide that is part of the documentation project
> is a good start, but not exactly what I'm looking for.  An example of what
> I'd like to see is a very simple game/utility implemented using a good
> subset of the SDL features.  For example a minesweeper game, or a calculator
> done in SDL.   This would allow a place to show most of the features of SDL
> w/o becoming too complicated to follow.   Most of the demos are very
> impressive, but too complicated for a beginner to follow.

It's not a game, but my "explosions" demo is heavily commented.
Most of my other games, while often pretty massive (and all in one C file
<ducking for cover>) are also pretty well documented/commented, too.

Something like "Bug Squish" might be a good start.  Music, sound, mouse,
keyboard, graphics...

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bugsquish/
  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/explosions/

And long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I did a talk on SDL at
my local LUG.  It's entirely out of date, but goes through the basics:

  http://www.lugod.org/presentations/sdl-talk-1/
  http://www.lugod.org/presentations/sdl-talk-2/

Enjoy!

-bill!