[SDL] SDL with cross-mingw32 under linux / dos box

Mark Collins m.collins at codeplay.com
Fri Aug 17 09:01:01 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rasca Gmelch" <rasca at triad.de>
Newsgroups: loki.open-source.sdl
To: <sdl at libsdl.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 4:10 PM
Subject: [SDL] SDL with cross-mingw32 under linux / dos box

> hi,
>
> if i compile a SDL application with mingw32 under
> linux and execute it on a win98 machine it works
> fine, but on every startup of the application a
> dos box is opened.
>
> so it looks like a console application but it isn't..
>
> how do i prevend this?
>
> btw. the application itself opens a window and
> does it's job really fine. so from my personal
> view there is no need to open a dosbox..
>
> cu
>  rasca

A quick & nasty way to fix this is to write a small windows stib app that
calls CreateProcess() but captures all the standard IO FDs itself. Of
course, you'll need a native Windows compiler for this (probably).

I plan on writing one in the near future (it makes porting code SO much
easier having a system like this (call GetModuleHandle() inside main() and
you have everything you need, without using the horrible WinMain() function)

Mark 'Nurgle' Collins
Developer Support - Codeplay Ltd.
http://www.codeplay.com