[SDL] Re: X-Platform game development strategies...

herwig schwantzer h.schwantzer at internet-security.at
Thu Aug 16 00:11:00 PDT 2001

Dominique Louis wrote:

> Hi All,
>    I was wondering if other game developers can tell me if it is worth
> installing VMWare in order to simplify x-platform game development under
> Windows and Linux?
>
> Currently, since I use Delphi and Kylix, I develop the code on my
> Windows partition, then I reboot to Linux and open up the project on my
> Windows partition with Kylix and recompile it and insert the appropriate
> IFDEFs.
>
> This works fine, but I was wondering if others thought there is any
> benefit in using VMWare so that one does not have to reboot?
> I have no understanding of how VMWare works, so I am assuming it is an
> emulator and as such may not be as good ( or bad ) as the real thing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dominique
> http://www.DelphiGamer.com

VMWare does a good job for me, but remember that this is a way of
running
2 OSs at the same time. therefore you have to swap files via samba (or
net-
work, if you prefer to, or disk.). then mount your shares, and exchange
the files. hm... but why not trying wine ? it's free, it's much smaller
than VMWare, and it does a good job too. you choose.

PS: are we OT?

*hth*

--

br,