[SDL] UDP packet managing vis sdlnet

david ackley jones davej at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 14 15:51:00 PDT 2001

I actually understand some of the theory behind UDP, but I'm kinda stuck
on the implementation side of it.  Actually, I can't say that I really
understand what 'channels' are in the SDLNet library.  I would've guessed
you'd just stuff em in a socket and not worry about it anymore.  The
channel part has me baffled.

Not broadcast, but the server sends out a beacon to its clients via TCP.

Maybe if I explained what the end project is:  I'm modifying someone's
code that reads in keyboard events from a windows box and sends them via
TCP to its connected clients which are running Linux.  The linux clients
read the incoming data, parse them, and has X run them.  You'd up having
keyboard control of a bunch linux boxes with a windows machine.

I'm currently adding the mouse support.  Mouse movement doesn't have a
high priority and there's a lot of it.  Therefore, UDP packets make sense
for sending out that data.  Before I go there, I wanted to get comfortable
with SDLnet's library.  Which brings me to my current situation.

Any more comments are welcome.  thx