[SDL] SDL_Quit from other thread...

winterlion winterlion at fsj.net
Mon Aug 27 19:19:01 PDT 2001

William Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:
>One thing to realize when doing "palette-effect"-style effects is that
>true palette effects are much quicker, since the graphics hardware is
>doing all of the index look-ups as it draws the pixels.

The "gamma ramps" are simply translation tables for each of the RGB
components (so if a pixel has the components {r, g, b}, the colour
actually displayed will be {reds[r], greens[g], blues[b]}).

Ordinarily these tables are identity-mapped (so reds[r] = r for
r=0..255 etc), but changing them can give you interesting effects.
In X11 this visual class is called DirectColor.

>Unless there's something I'm missing. :)  I'm no PC expert.

This is nothing PC-specific - it has been around on Real Computers
for decades, though it is probably a novelty in the PC world