[SDL] Pallette style effects on 32bit surfaces...

William Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Aug 13 13:26:00 PDT 2001

> Gamma is a hardware feature of the RAMDAC of most modern video cards.
> (One hardware LUT right before each DAC.) SDL can use it if the
> underlying target provides an API for it. (No idea about the support
> status, though.)

Sorry for the dumb question, but what exactly does this give you?
A simulated 'indexed-mode' screen?  (Whenever I hear the term 'gamma,'
I think of lightness (brightness?) of the display.)

Can you, for example, have a little multicharactered sprite which has
one set of colors (say, blues and greens and yellows) and then on-the-fly
change it (without storing additional Surface bitmaps) to a different
color (say, reds and oranges)....  I'm thinking of MegaMan and SuperMarioBros
from NES :) )

-bill!