[SDL] Pallette style effects on 32bit surfaces...

William Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Aug 13 12:47:05 PDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 11:47:01PM +0200, Mattias Engdegård wrote:
<snip>
> You can always transform a 8bpp image with palette effects to a
> greyscale 24-bit image (each pixel has equal R, G, B) and the gamma
> ramps, but you can also do other interesting things

One thing to realize when doing "palette-effect"-style effects is that
true palette effects are much quicker, since the graphics hardware is
doing all of the index look-ups as it draws the pixels.

Duplicating effects like these using, say, 24bit truecolor mode means
redrawing every changed pixel every frame, which can be dog-slow on older
hardware.

Unless there's something I'm missing. :)  I'm no PC expert.

-bill!
(just back from Classic Gaming Expo in Las Vegas!  Whee!)