[SDL] 3dnow/sse and vectorc (was Windows verion...)

Erik Greenwald erik at math.smsu.edu
Sun Aug 19 11:35:01 PDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 12:50:49PM +0200, David Olofson wrote:
<snip>

> > What about OpenGL for 2D game engines?
>
> IMHO, you should *definitely* consider this if you're interested in
> making use of machines with 3D acceleration - the speed-up is tremendous,
> especially for higher resolutions on fast accelerators. (Modern PCs
> aren't built for software rendering...) The added blending and
> transformation capabilities that come virtually for free (WRT coding as
> well as performance), can be seen as an extra bonus.

Now... are there plans to support this internally (if available) in SDL?

In other words, say on a Linux box you're running an SDL app. with a lot
of alpha blits.  If the machine has an accellerated card, will SDL,
at some point, be able to take advantage of this?

In other words, I'm really comfortable with SDL, and really
uncomfortable with OpenGL.  ;)  Both are about a sportable as the other,
but I'm lazy and busy, and don't do too much true 3D stuff, so SDL is
incredibly more useful.  It just can be slow sometimes. ;)

-bill!