[SDL] 2D sprites

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Tue Aug 7 09:14:01 PDT 2001

On Tuesday 07 August 2001 17:42, Pete Shinners wrote:
> "David Olofson" <david.olofson at reologica.se> wrote
>
> > If your program crashes in full screen mode while the
> > screen surface is locked, you end up with a frozen computer
> > under Win95/98. (WinNT seems to handle it a little better,
> > although you still have to wait for a good while before the
> > global lock times out. Not sure about Win2k.)
>
> i wouldn't worry about this, i've been using SDL on windows
> and haven't had any sort of problems like this, the SDL
> parachute always bails me out.

Ah, very nice! Didn't think about that. :-)

I was thinking about using DirectX directly, and/or allowing the debugger
to step in when something goes wrong. Some debuggers don't bother to
check locks and stuff before trying to take over...

> if someone does want to
> devel on windows and is having problems like this, i'd
> recommend running with the "windib" driver while developing.

Which is another good reason to use SDL. (Tried to support fullscreen +
windowed mode with DirectX, not to mention GDI using the same code? *heh*)

> owell, just letting joel know that this is actually an
> option :]

With SDL, it's even an option without the classical DirectX crashes... :-)

//David Olofson --- Programmer, Reologica Instruments AB

`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'