[SDL] 2D sprites

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Tue Aug 7 05:51:00 PDT 2001

On Tuesday 07 August 2001 13:14, Ed Sinjiashvili wrote:
> David Olofson <david.olofson at reologica.se> writes:
> > API is a good motivation in itself. (Not to mention that you can
> > debug using XFree86/DGA on Linux instead of DirectX fullscreen on
> > Win98...)
>
> I apologize if this is offtopic - but could you give more info (howtos,
> links) on that XFree86/DGA debugging. Thanks.

Uhm, well, not really. The point is just that this configuration is
usually more stable for debugging.

If your program crashes in full screen mode while the screen surface is
locked, you end up with a frozen computer under Win95/98. (WinNT seems to
handle it a little better, although you still have to wait for a good
while before the global lock times out. Not sure about Win2k.)

With a stable XFree86 server on a well supported video card, it would be
very bad luck (or a driver bug) if you ended up with anything worse than
a desktop left in some low resolution mode. Just press ctrl-alt-[+-] a
few times to fix that. DGA 2.0 could be somewhat risky I guess, but
OpenGL (GLX/DRI) and all normal X stuff should be totally safe as long as
the drivers are OK.

Even development versions of OpenGL drivers for XFree86 can take more
abuse than DirectX without crashing the system in my experience, but I
might just have had very bad luck with DirectX and/or been very lucky
with XFree86. :-)

Oh, some @£!¤$ program grabbed all X input focus and then froze? (If you
haven't seen it, it kills both keyboard and mouse input totally. Only
Linux "Magic SysRq" works. For example, RealPlayer 8 can do this if it
blocks on the audio device.) Just do a remote login and kill the nasty
application, and everything's back to normal! :-)

//David Olofson --- Programmer, Reologica Instruments AB

`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'