[SDL] SDL with cross-mingw32 under linux / dos box

Rasca Gmelch rasca at triad.de
Thu Aug 16 08:12:01 PDT 2001

Hey,
	I just want to mention that every single SDL app I've used in Mac OS X has created an invisible file in my home directory. Now while tcsh does the same thing, it's expected that all graphical apps store files in the following manner:

* Preferences go in '~/Library/Preferences/' and are visible files.

* User-added (or managed) support files like plug-ins, scripts, textures, etc. go in '~/Library/Application Support/AppName/' and are visible. Typically categorized like:

'~/Library/Application Support/AppName/Plug-Ins/'
'~/Library/Application Support/AppName/Scripts/'
etc.

* Immutable resource files go in the application bundle like 'Appname.app/Contents/Resources/'

In MacOS the story is similar except there is one global location for Preferences and Application Support. Carbon provides one API which works with both systems, but you can use POSIX paths in OS X if you wish.

The problem is every single SDL app is doing things it's own way. How about defining a set of directories so SDL apps behave property on the host platform, as well as a filename prefix (like "." in Linux to make prefs invisible)? I don't think I should have to contact every single author of an SDL app individually and explain this all over again.