[SDL] Announcing SDL PS2 Linux RPMs

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Wed Aug 1 06:11:00 PDT 2001

> Do you have any advice for people trying to make cross-platform SDL
> applications so they will run properly on the PS2?

Yes.  Have it use as little memory as possible.  Don't use any resolution
larger than 640x480.  If you can design your application so that it can use
640x224, that's even better.  Don't use floating point for everything.

> For example, it seems that one cannot assume the presence of a keyboard.
> Are the different buttons on the PS controller sent via the SDL_Joystick*()
> functions or as key presses?

I'm not sure.  The development PS2 has a USB keyboard.  The game controller
is a normal Linux joystick device.  I presume that the final product will
be the same.

> Does it have a harddisk or boot over the network? If no harddisk is
> present, game state would have to be saved on memory cards. Is this
> possible under Linux/PS2?

It has a hard drive.

See ya,