[SDL] unsubscribe

root aurelien.marchand at researchcapital.com
Thu Apr 26 12:20:22 PDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Nathan Hand wrote:

> I've got access to an external MIDI tone generator. SDL seems to only
> support timidity output, which sounds good, but not great.
>
> For instance,
>
>     - playmidi sounds crap (OPL3 on my $10 soundcard)
>     - timidity sounds good (software wavetable)
>     - playmidi -e sounds WOW (professional tonegen on midiout)
>
> Is anybody working on supporting real MIDI in SDL_mixer? MIDI out, of
> course: cheap FM synth is grossly inferior to timidity.
>
> I see from the archives this has been asked before, but I've not seen
> any followups and I'd like to know how far it got.

Just to add my two bits (which of course will be ignored :)
This WOULD be nice to see.  I'd be quite happy to see MIDI record too -
but I suspect recording audio is a long ways from anyone's minds....

(sitting in front of my largely useless MIDI keyboard as beyond playmidi I
have yet to find -any- applications that work with it - and I'm
interested in using it to edit music :)

hrm - MIDI-out -playback- is definitely ontopic for SDL.  I somehow
suspect that MIDI record isn't - so if anyone's got any comments, personal
email please :)
(I mean I'd -like- to see duplex audio for SDL as well - but the last time
I tried it using anything other than /dev/dsp, my system crashed...  about
the only time I've seen a "panic" since working with 3dfx driver :)
-> it's because of this I shelved video/audioconferencing for now...

G'day, eh? :)
	- Teunis