1.3 nugget (was Re: [SDL] Small surface question)

Mattias Engdegård f91-men at nada.kth.se
Mon Apr 9 10:32:52 PDT 2001

>When this happens, if we still are freeing our surfaces, will that cause any
>troubles (in other words, will I still be able to compile my SDL1.2 and
>earilier apps under 1.3 without headache ;-)?

we haven't discussed this seriously but it looks more and more like
it's going to be a serious API cleanup, so don't count on being able to
compile things right away. This is a bit far in the future but we can
do some things to make it less painful:

* avoid silent changes - if a function changes semantics, change its
  name and/or parameters
* provide a migration guide for translating to the new api
  (if you get this error/warning, do this...)
* maybe have a small backward-compatibility lib

this probably means that it will be called 2.0 rather than 1.3 :-)
(we'll maintain 1.2 as a stable release for a good time in the
future though)