[SDL] Re: could not run sdl test program

Melvin Toh k66winds at bigfoot.com
Sat Apr 29 18:20:26 PDT 2000

Unfortunately, the "--disable-pthread-sem" configure option does not
work. SDL_image compiled fine when I used an earlier version of SDL CVS
though.

I'm not familar with threads, but I poked around the man pages for
pthread and found the following:

In file "pthreads.3t"
---------------------

  Similarities
     Most of the functions in both libraries, libpthread and lib-
     thread,  have  a  counterpart in the other's library.  POSIX
     functions and Solaris functions, whose  names  have  similar
     endings, usually have similar functionality, number of argu-
     ments, and use of arguments.

IMPLEMENTATION
                   POSIX                            Solaris

  Semaphore
     sem_init()                               sema_init()
     sem_open()                               ___
     sem_close()                              ___
     sem_wait()                               sema_wait()
     sem_trywait()                            sema_trywait()
     sem_post()                               sema_post()
     sem_getvalue()                           ___
     sem_unlink()                             ___
     sem_destroy()                            sema_destroy()

In file "libpthread.4"
----------------------

DESCRIPTION
     Functions in this library provide the  POSIX  threads.   See
     standards(5).   This  library  is implemented as a filter on
     the threads library (see libthread(4)).

     The shared object libpthread.so.1 provides the public inter-
     faces defined below.

INTERFACES
     SUNW_1.1 (generic):
                                          sema_destroy
       sema_init                          sema_post
       sema_trywait                       sema_wait

I suppose Solaris does have pthread semaphores.

I'll be glad to provide files/info if that helps.

Thanks!

Melvin