[SDL] Exposing clipping function

Nicholas Vining vining at pacificcoast.net
Thu Apr 27 18:37:45 PDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: sondheim at knxmail.com <sondheim at knxmail.com>
To: sdl at lokigames.com <sdl at lokigames.com>
Date: Thursday, April 27, 2000 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: [SDL] Exposing clipping function

>My concern here isn't so much in efficiency as it is with
>obtaining the same result.  With most processes there is
>more than one way to compute their result, and (in fact)
>the result may vary slightly depending on the implemation,
>and the goals that the implementor had in mind.  With a
>clipping this is likely not to be an issue, but I wanted
>to use SDL's clipping function to ensure that I get the
>same result as SDL... not for purposes of being more
>efficient.

Key word here, "goals that the implementor had in mind" -- in some cases my
goals may differ quite a lot. I would recommend that in the event you want
your clipping routine to give the same results as SDL, you do that, and not
pollute SDL's interface and add a routine which may well cause a good deal
of confusion to some more newbie programmers in the future than you and
me -- however, these are just my thoughts (opinionated deviant that I am)

>-Loren

Cheers,

Nicholas

ps. why aren't you using your Loki account?