[SDL] Exposing clipping function

Nicholas Vining vining at pacificcoast.net
Thu Apr 27 10:09:43 PDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: sondheim at knxmail.com <sondheim at knxmail.com>
To: sdl at lokigames.com <sdl at lokigames.com>
Date: Thursday, April 27, 2000 9:34 AM
Subject: [SDL] Exposing clipping function

>Sam,
>
>Would you have any problems with exposing SDL's clipping
>function, so that I can clip rects without having to do
>a blit?  Is there some stock solution to this (such as
>setting the alpha-channel to 0... then  doing a blit...)
>
>Comments?

Yeah -- is SDL's clipping routine really optimized enough to make doing it
worthwhile? IMO you'd be probably better off writing your own localized
clipper. The one advantage I see is that you could use SDL's predefined
rectangle struct and that's no big deal -- you could do that anyways. I'd
just prefer to see people writing their own more specialized routines for
when they need to.

Nicholas