[SDL] Re: NVIDIA driver

Christian Zander phoenix at minion.de
Wed Apr 26 10:46:04 PDT 2000

In article <Pine.GSO.4.10.10004261225390.20149-100000 at phoenix.lhup.edu>,
Dave <dleimbac at phoenix.lhup.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Daniel Vogel wrote:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>> >
>> > Uhm... I have an Nvidia card and it is by no means an par with the
>> > windows drivers from XF4.0.  You need to get other driver from UTAH
>> > GLX to even
>>
>> Hmm? Do you use the new binary only drivers from NVIDIA released a few
>> days ago? You don't need anything from Utah-GLX if you use the NVIDIA
>> drivers.
> I just saw the beta release thing on slashdot.  I like XFree 4.0 but my
> X font server doesn't like XFree 4.0.  Doesn't that new driver need a
> kernel module to run? Isn't that a little weird?

Well, not really. The kernel module synchronizes access to the graphics hardware
and makes the agp bus's advanced features available. It does several other things
as well. As to your font server - I'm happily running x4 without a single font server.

X4 has several font backends that workd just fine for type1, ttf and all the other
formats.