[SDL] quick 2D paralax scrolling

Mattias Engdegård f91-men at nada.kth.se
Tue Apr 25 20:14:02 PDT 2000

>In fact, I wonder about this.  There are many game emulators for these
>systems, and they run at full speed on my k6.  (I own every ROM I play
>on these emulators, of course).  There is something that we are doing
>way too slow, I think.

Of course it can be done, but it comes at a price - you don't want to spend
all CPU on just the rendering, but have something left for AI, sound etc.
Console systems typically have low resolutions, but no doubt you want to
take advantage of the video memory and high resolution of modern machines,
for at least 1024x768 in 24 bit colour.