[SDL] PNG and transparency

Dave dleimbac at phoenix.lhup.edu
Mon Apr 24 12:02:52 PDT 2000

> > I just downloaded the latest SDL_Image library.  From what I could tell
> > before when PNG files loaded I had natural transparency preserved.
>
> It was probably using alpha, not real transparency.  I just updated the

I think you are correct!!

> image library to support transparent GIF images so that I don't have to

Nice!

> explicitly set the colorkey for them.  The alpha blend driver has been
> updated so that it doesn't perform blending on all opaque or all transparent
> pixels, but it's still faster to use a colorkey blit.

I'll keep that in mind...

> > Also when will the configure script from the CVS go into the stable and
> > development distributions?  That last question is the #1 question on this
> > list.
>
> Very soon.  Let me think...  I can't think of any serious reason not to
> release SDL 1.1.3 any day now.  I'm just waiting for the new YUV surface
> and thread synchronization code to be fully exercised.  I can't get the
> DirectDraw YUV code to actually create a YUV surface - I get "Invalid
> pixel format" for some reason, even though the hardware supports the
> FOURCC format I'm using.  Any suggestions?

When it comes to microsoft I am clueless as to how any of that stuff can
even work.  Direct X 7.0 nearly did my machine in...  (Not really I just
like to get error messages when things aren't correct, Microsoft assumes
we are too dumb to understand or just wants us to be charged for customer
support)
Good luck to you with the YUV stuff (I am not even sure what YUV is!).

Oh yeah... When do you think I will see a link to DFont on the libraries
link on the SDL pages?
http://phoenix.lhup.edu/~dleimbac/Projects/DFont/

I've got a screenshot of several fonts being displayed with the testfont
program and a description on the page.

[No hurry! :) ]

Dave