[SDL] Re: DDraw -> SDL how to port ?

Ben Campbell ben.campbell at cyberlife.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 10:14:40 PDT 2000

Andreas Hofmeister wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks, I´ve started porting (and the first header is nearly complete). But one
> nice day I saw this :
>
> LPDIRECTDRAWCLIPPER   p_lpDDClipper;
>
> Can you help me ? What can I do with this ?

Ummm.... Just delete it... should be fine... ;-)

Seriously though, I haven't really had anything to do with DDrawClippers
- I don't know much about them. I think they are used to avoid drawing
over other windows when using ddraw in non-exclusive (non-fullscreen)
mode. I'm probably wrong about this.

For SDL, you can always assume (or pretend) that you have exclusive
access to the entire area of a surface, so clipping shouldn't be an
issue (except of course making sure your own drawing code stays within
the bounds of the surface).
If any peaceful coexistance with other windows is required, SDL will
handle it all for you behind the scenes (when you call SDL_UpdateRect()
to display your surface). It's nice like that :-)

Good luck!
Ben.
--
Ben Campbell (Antipodean Straggler)