[SDL] Compilation on unix systems without X-Windows (PATCH)

Nicholas Vining vining at pacificcoast.net
Fri Apr 21 18:30:47 PDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Lantinga <slouken at devolution.com>
To: sdl at lokigames.com <sdl at lokigames.com>
Date: Friday, April 21, 2000 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: [SDL] Compilation on unix systems without X-Windows (PATCH)

>> Problem is that the rest of the drivers (SVGAlib, GGI, fbcon) are pretty
>> unstable and unfinished...
>
>What do you mean?  As far as I know, the fbcon is one of the most developed
>video drivers, and GGI and SVGAlib are functional but don't have full
hardware
>acceleration support.

fbcon I just have your word on. You very distinctly said it wasn't finished
(and I would show you the message if it wasn't for the fact that I just
reformatted my hard drive... again)

As for GGI and SVGAlib, I would consider not having full hardware
acceleration "unfinished", and I have had a multitude of interesting
problems with SVGAlib on my old computer. (Odd crashing at program
termination, screen blackouts,...) GGI I just talked to somebody else about
who said it gave him problems, so I don't have any real evidence there. They
then cleared themselves up... whether this was an upgrade of SDL or some
internal GGI issue I don't know. I will see if I can get him to do some more
tests.

In addition, I was under the impression that internally GGI still has its
"unfinished" and "unstable" flags (it does in the docs...)

>See ya,
> -Sam Lantinga, Lead Programmer, Loki Entertainment Software

BTW: got the lexx/yacc book today... you're right, it rules!

Nicholas