[SDL] Re: Khronos / Open ML - a new cross platform API?

Pierre Phaneuf pp at ludusdesign.com
Sun Apr 16 11:49:52 PDT 2000

Ryan MacLean wrote:

> "Industry leaders including 3dfx, 3Dlabs, ATI, Compaq, Discreet, Evans &
> Sutherland, IBM, Intel, S3, and SGI today unveiled their collective vision
> to develop a standard application programming interface for graphics, video,
> and audio media devices. Creation of a standardized API will allow digital
> content application developers to more easily integrate video and graphics
> capabilities into their application suites, and will make these applications
> more portable over multiple operating systems, CPU architectures, and add-in
> hardware devices. Similar to the current industry standard for professional
> 3D graphics- OpenGL , this new API will consist of standard techniques for
> input and output of digital video and audio data, and will include
> extensions to OpenGL to support seamless video and graphics integration."

Yes, I also saw that on Slashdot, but after reading their web site a
bit, it seems to sound more like a "Turbo Quicktime" more than a "New
Cross Platform Alternative to DirectX". They don't say a thing about
input or network, for example, of which at least input is an essential
part of most games.

Anyway, we'll see... "Show me the code", as they say!

--
Pierre Phaneuf
http://ludusdesign.com/