[SDL] Re: extension for 2D with DRI

Mattias Engdegård f91-men at nada.kth.se
Sat Apr 15 08:11:28 PDT 2000

>Hmmm...dunno what kinda 3d shooters your playing but in my neck of the
>woods we always accept speed orver image quality. Quake is *always* played
>with all fancy graphics off so you get a constant 70fps and everything
>that needs to be turned off in Quake 3 is turned off until we get a
>constant 60fps

You no doubt know more about modern 3d shooters than I do, but tearing is
much less of a concern in Quake or Doom in an X11 window (thus without sync
to vertical refresh) than any 2D game. 2D games have much simpler geometry
and kinematics, so any tearing or deviation from rectilinear movement is
easy to spot. Marathon, an early FPS, was capped at 30fps for whatever
reason, and it was not perceived as a serious limitation.