[SDL] Re: slooow

Pierre Phaneuf pphaneuf at sx.nec.com
Thu Apr 13 10:55:31 PDT 2000

Mattias.Blomqvist at nokia.com wrote:

> Yepp. But that wasnt at all what we discussed. Using 32 bits per pixel is
> faster than using 24. Although only 24 of the bits are used for
> colorinformation since this is the way that the X-server does. Anyway, it
> was still much slower than expected.

Apparently, 24 bits per pixel is actually *faster*, but it makes
computation on the pixel values more complicated and difficult. But
transferring 24 bpp pixmaps to the video board takes 75% of the time it
takes to transfer the same pixmap in 32 bpp. 25% is not negligible!

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Systems Exorcist