[SDL] Truetype vs bitmapped fonts? Opinions?

Mattias Engdegård f91-men at nada.kth.se
Tue Apr 11 14:57:22 PDT 2000

>This is essentially exactly what SDL does with (misnamed) RLE colorkey
>blit acceleration.  The trickiest part is dynamically recompiling the
>sprite to accomodate clipping (and it's still faster than testing each
>individual pixel.)

Have you benchmarked this so you know it's faster to recompile and then
blit than clipping it while drawing? That is what I do, and I'm a little
ashamed not having timed it. If you know you're going to blit the same
sprite at the same position more than once it probably pays off, but
then you'll have to save the clipped sprite somewhere.

I suppose it's not a big deal since most sprites are not clipped,
unless you have huge sprites (boss monsters :-)