[SDL] Truetype vs bitmapped fonts? Opinions?

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Tue Apr 11 13:27:35 PDT 2000

> No, it's not RLE compression... the author of the book refers to it
> as LLE compression.  I'll _try_ and explain it.

> If a scanline of the bitmap is:
> - completely transparent just store a single '0' for it
> - completely solid, store a 1 followed by the line data
> - a mix of solid and transparent information store:
[...]

This is essentially exactly what SDL does with (misnamed) RLE colorkey
blit acceleration.  The trickiest part is dynamically recompiling the
sprite to accomodate clipping (and it's still faster than testing each
individual pixel.)

See ya,
	-Sam Lantinga, Lead Programmer, Loki Entertainment Software