[SDL] PNG and transparency

Dave dleimbac at phoenix.lhup.edu
Sun Apr 23 19:24:29 PDT 2000

>On that note, anyone have any guesses as to how long it'll be before SDL
>achieves world domination of the game development industry?  :-)
>
>Seriously though, being able to hit the Mac, Linux (okay, X), and Windows
>from a single codebase is very attractive.  Now, about the PlayStation 2
>port.....

Playstation 2 port? Here's the skinny:

I seriously looked into this while I was at the Game Developer's Conference.
The Metrowerks employees that I talked to think that it'd be cool with their
higher mucky-mucks, but the main problem would be Sony (who isn't very keen on
licensing stuff for free, let alone under a GPL, which'd mean exposing their
user interfaces to public scrutiny). I don't think that I pull enough rank in
the SDL hierarchy to be able to really negotiate such a deal -- besides which,
Sam and I would end up brawling over who got to do it. Damn, that hardware's
cool. There was this one demo with lighted particles which flew down a hallway
and illuminated the walls.. man..

>-Roy

Nicholas