[SDL] Re: XFree86 4.0 VidMode not binary compatible

Pierre Phaneuf pphaneuf at sx.nec.com
Fri Apr 7 10:51:36 PDT 2000

Sam Lantinga wrote:

> As far as vidmode incompatibility, I think I jumped the gun on this
> one.  What had happened was I had compiled the code with XFree86 3
> headers and then installed XFree86 4 and relinked.  Of course, this
> doesn't work.  When I compile and link with the same set of headers and
> libraries, everything appears to work properly.  My apologies.

Could you clarify on this point?

If I compile an app with XF86-3 headers and libraries, will the VidMode
extension work with XF86-4? And XF86-4 headers/libraries with XF86-3?

I somehow doubt that the latter will work (it would need to make up for
the improvements somehow, maybe by return error codes that could make
some unsuspecting application freak out), but if the former works, we
could keep around the header and the static library until 3.x becomes
outdated.

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Systems Exorcist