[SDL] Re: SDL_mixer lib questions

Ben Campbell ben.campbell at cyberlife.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 02:35:59 PDT 2000

Stephane Peter wrote:

> It's already in the API :
>
> /* Dynamically change the number of channels managed by the mixer.
>    If decreasing the number of channels, the upper channels are
>    stopped.
>    This function returns the new number of allocated channels.
>  */
> extern DECLSPEC int Mix_AllocateChannels(int numchans);

Doh!
Will have to go through the headers a bit more carefully in future.

> That's true, the mixer uses SDL_MixAudio(), which is entirely software for
> now...

Cool and groovy with me -
Our audio guy did some basic profiling (under directsound) a while back,
and he is of the opinion that software mixing really isn't a very big
hit on the sort of CPUs we have these days...

Ben.
--
Ben Campbell (Antipodean Straggler)
Programmer, Creature Labs