[SDL] SDL hangs on SDL_Init

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Wed Apr 5 22:57:36 PDT 2000

> I seem to be having the same problem in windows98. Sam, care to comment,
> perhaps some more ignorance on my part?

I can't think of anything offhand.  All the test programs hang as well?

Do you have access to a debugger to find out where it's hanging?

> "David R. Hayes" wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >     Hey, my first time writing to a newsgroup... anyway, I'm having a
> > problem: I'm writing a game with SDL, and it appears to freeze on the
> > call to SDL_Init. I'm running Linux, RedHat 6.0... none of the SDL
> > test programs get past SDL_Init either. Everything seems to be linking
> > correctly, and when I trace through, it's freezing on a call to some X
> > function ( XF86VidModeGetModeLine). I'm at a loss.

That's a problem...
Try reconfiguring the source with --disable-video-x11-vm
It's amazing how many servers freeze with that protocol.

	-Sam Lantinga, Lead Programmer, Loki Entertainment Software