[SDL] Re: SDL_mixer lib questions

Stephane Peter megastep at lokigames.com
Wed Apr 5 18:48:48 PDT 2000

In article <38EB150D.40DA06B4 at cyberlife.co.uk>,
	Ben Campbell <ben.campbell at cyberlife.co.uk> writes:
> I've recently started porting some directsound stuff, and have run into
> a few questions about the SDL_mixer library:
>
> 1) What is the rationale behind the maximum number of channels being set
> to 8? Would it be worth adding a function to allow apps to up this
> limit?

It's already in the API :

/* Dynamically change the number of channels managed by the mixer.
   If decreasing the number of channels, the upper channels are
   stopped.
   This function returns the new number of allocated channels.
 */
extern DECLSPEC int Mix_AllocateChannels(int numchans);

> The game I'm hacking about on would probably benefit from more channels.
> The original directsound version uses up to 32 channels, each with
> stereo panning. On a decent sound card under dsound, I think most of the
> mixing is done by the hardware. Even my crappy little no-namebrand
> soundcard can mix 8 channels in hardware.
>
> 2) Can SDL take advantage of hardware mixing? From looking at the audio
> code, it looks like everything is mixed in software.

That's true, the mixer uses SDL_MixAudio(), which is entirely software for
now...

--
Stephane Peter
Programmer

   "Microsoft has done to computers what McDonald's has done to gastronomy"